42 coaches online • Server time: 10:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you have interest in a parents / kids league?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Kids should learn to foul on turn 16 the normal way like the rest of us
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Cosmodon

Post   Posted: May 27, 2023 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I am a horrible dad and got some of my kids into blood bowl. They have played table top and a couple tourny's and are just getting into fumbbl.

Anyone know a good causal league to join up in that might be kid (13 year old) friendly?

If not, see poll question (if I set it up right).
HaruHaru

Post   Posted: May 28, 2023 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The 145 club is your friend. But really, if they've played a couple of tourneys I imagine they're ready for most leagues.
Sadly you're not in the right time zone for SWL but there are probably other adequate leagues out there.
knine

Post   Posted: May 28, 2023 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Not so sure 145 is the right league. I've had some people go bonkers on me in the chat (ie, when they got smashed). I'd be concerned about exposing kids to the way some opponents get chat-rage. I'd suggest you set up a parent/kid league with some clear rules about behavioural expectations. Ie, don't join if you're prone to raging in chat.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: May 28, 2023 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be surprised if in any league on fumbbl your kids would hear or read anything that 13y old kid wouldnt hear
in any other day to day activities.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2023 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

knine wrote:
Not so sure 145 is the right league. I've had some people go bonkers on me in the chat (ie, when they got smashed). I'd be concerned about exposing kids to the way some opponents get chat-rage. I'd suggest you set up a parent/kid league with some clear rules about behavioural expectations. Ie, don't join if you're prone to raging in chat.

Sorry. Just went with what I had heard. I haven't played in 145 myself and had only heard it was a good place for beginners to learn to play the game.
datom

Post   Posted: May 28, 2023 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The 145 is a very good place to learn, but it's worth setting the expectation that the guys joining are a little younger. They can join the channel and arrange training games etc without joining the league, but generally I think if people were aware then they would moderate their conduct.

I'm sure Koadah will be on this in seconds but will flag that we should be aware yoteenagers might join. Merry is of course right, but adults swearing at kids is uncool.
Foad

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2023 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want you kids to improve, they should play in competitive leagues.

Set appropriate expectations, let them know they will not always win - and that losses are how you grow.

I feel setting up a league where they can win against other kids (weaker, newer players) and parents (people who let them win, or give excessive advice) will only cause them to develop poor habits, and in turn will cause them to get frustrated against good players that don't make mistakes later on.

When you find a league with good people (there are a fair few), and add more good people (being yourself and your family), that's the best example of becoming a better player. Just sayin'...

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2023 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

knine wrote:

I'm not sure what you would expect if you were smashing people in 145.
You're lucky that PC didn't catch you.

In the past, 13/14 year olds have seemed perfectly able to stick up for themselves on Fumbbl. Wink

I doubt that age is much of an issue unless you are talking about 8-10 year olds.

A lot of much older people are struggling right now.

145 has it's "do not play" list. I would recommend finding games via Discord not Gamefinder.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2023 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Why? Does PC take a dim view to not throwing games?

I would not suggest 145 to anyone, ever. As knine intimated, they are a wretched hive of entitled keyboard warriors, looking for easy games.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2023 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Foad wrote:
koadah wrote:

I would not suggest 145 to anyone, ever. As knine intimated, they are a wretched hive of entitled keyboard warriors, looking for easy games.

That sounds truly awfull, although I can't see that you have had any teams in the 145? When was the last time that you played there?
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2023 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I find it pretty sad that someone has to go to 145 league to get wins.

Maybe ill put it on cultural differences.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2023 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Foad wrote:
koadah wrote:

145 is a league for helping and teaching new coaches or coaches who wish to improve.

If you need help, or you want to help others, then you are very welcome.

If you are a cherrypicking shark looking to smash new coaches then no. Keep the hell out.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2023 - 14:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

First on Topic:
All of FUMBBL is 'family friendly' and all our conduct should at all times be fitting to be witnessed bya a 13 year old. younger than that, and realistically under 16, it is probably best to make , at least, the people running the format you compete in aware, for simple safe guarding reasons.

They would be perfectly welcomed and treated entirely appropriately in the 145 club, but i would hope also everywhere else.

i am not happy about some of the things said about the 145 in this thread. Anyone with such concerns should come instantly to me, and they will be addressed.

Certainly neither coach has teams that have been in the 145 during the 2020 ruleset, nor to my recollection during my time running it. I hope the concerns raised are historic.

To be crystal clear:
The 145 Club is for new players to Bb and/or to FUMBBL.
It is a non competitive, learning environment, where help and advice is constantly available and freely given. Where no question is deemed stupid.
If i find people there being abusive in chat, or using it to get easy wins and feed their ego, there will be brutal consequences.
It will not be tolerated, and has not been for some time.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2023 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I've found the 145 to be really friendly and welcoming. I've had one friendly in there. I did sign up to the dog bowl, but that was more to learn how fumbbl works. I've not actually played in the dog bowl as i've ended up playing BB8 Trophy.

Now I know how Fumbbl works, I don't want to play 145 games in case they think I'm not really a beginner (I'm not new to Blood Bowl) although my current record would suggest otherwise Smile
Foad

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2023 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Certainly neither coach has teams that have been in the 145 during the 2020 ruleset, nor to my recollection during my time running it. I hope the concerns raised are historic.

I've been on the site for 15 years. My time in the 145, was with coaches like uberskiller and StrawberryKiss. @PC feel free to edit if this is considered naming and shaming.

But as a league player that has brought many TT players onto the site, many have dabbled in 145 and the feedback is all the same. Many people are fine, but knine is right when he hints that there is an undeniable level of toxicity there. Moving forward I will alert you if anything I hear in 145, but if people ask - my advice will still be to steer clear.

Jump to: