46 coaches online • Server time: 19:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
El_Jairo

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, this seems like a good consolidation and recommendations, that's why I would put them in the following order:
C, A, D and B.

Why? Because I think having more TRR of the bat, ensures more flexibility as buying a TRR later is still 120k, only the Vargheist is more expensive.
I think the decision on the Vargheist is very comparable to the choice of taking a Rogre on skaven or not. If you do want them, you start your team with him, because if you need to save up for him, this might take a very long time and by then a rookie Vargheist has limited impact.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Ok can we consolidate this, and update https://fumbbl.com/help:BB20VampireSetUp

I think the core of a recommendable build needs 3-4 Rerolls, 2 Throwers, 1 Runner, and either a Varg or a Blitzer.
That's 4 bloodlusters, and you can get 7-8 thralls with the rest

There's then only 2 choices to be made: Varg vs Blitzer, and extra Reroll vs extra Thrall

So that leaves these 4 combinations:
A) 2 Throwers, 1 Runner, 1 Vargh, 4 Rerolls, 7 Thralls = 990, 11 players
B) 2 Throwers, 1 Runner, 1 Vargh, 3 Rerolls, 8 Thralls = 970, 12 players
C) 2 Throwers, 1 Runner, 1 Blitzer, 4 Rerolls, 8 Thralls = 990, 12 players
D) 2 Throwers, 1 Runner, 1 Blitzer, 3 Rerolls, 9 Thralls = 970, 13 players

The important question for a recommended build is:
Which of these is least likely to end in disaster for a coach's first game with vamps? I'm leaning towards option C

You don't like my build so much eh? MA8 is REALLY GOOD.

E) 2 Throwers, 2 Runners, 1 Blitzer, 3 Rerolls, 7 Thralls = 990, 12 players

Also, i think C is still better as a recommended build, this build is more for people that already have some idea of how to protect and limit their vampires.

Last edited by Nelphine on %b %13, %2023 - %15:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

El_Jairo wrote:

I think the decision on the Vargheist is very comparable to the choice of taking a Rogre on skaven or not. If you do want them, you start your team with him, because if you need to save up for him, this might take a very long time and by then a rookie Vargheist has limited impact.

I disagree completely.
Mighty blow is waaaay better than claw. Prehensile tail is waaaaay better than either disturbing presence (yhetee) or +1 AV (Vargheist)
A Rat Ogre has +2 strength over any skaven alternative, not +1. A Rat Ogre only has -1 agility over most skaven alternatives, NOT -3.
But even with that, a Rat Ogre is STILL only a choice on a Skaven team. Some people will (rightfully for their playstyle/preference) not take a Rat Ogre.
On the other hand, a Vargheist compared to a blitzer, is barely an upgrade, and given the agility difference, i still say its a downgrade. So if you still have to think about a Rat Ogre, then a Vargheist shouldn't even be a thought. It should simply be a no, never touch this crap.

The only reason I would ever consider a Varg, is for LOS duty, simply so that you don't have to expose your AV 8+ players, or your key vampires. But.. 4 thralls is better than 1 Varg for that job.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding option E)
Yea MV8 is indeed very good, but 1 runner provides it. The second runner doesn't provide as much improvement as the first runner does

Compared to C) you've dropped 1x RR and 1x Thrall to gain the 2nd Runner
So you've got more mobility and Gazes, but it's worse in terms of ... you've got less thralls and they're now more in danger

It could well be better for a strong coach
It might be worse for a average or beginner coach though. And it'll take more gold to bring it up to a parity of development
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i think C is still the better recommendation, i'd just take E over D (and of course over A and B)
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that this is the right thread for Varg discussion, but he's also got Regen

Also Bloodlust has one massive advantage over the other Big Guy negatraits, in that you can still take your action even if you fail it.
You can activate and then go bonehead. Rather than: bonehead and not activate

The other negatraits don't have the built in turnover though, so with an Ogre etc you can attempt to move them at the start of your turn, and if they fail you re-adjust your plans
Whereas the Varg generally needs to be used at the end of your turn

I started my team with Varg because I was excited about his potential.. but probably Blitzer was more sensible. The frenzy is fun though, gaze a screen and then surf through it
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Animal Savagery has the same type of 'you can still activate if you fail, as long as you plan' and its not a turn over.

So yeah, bloodlust has its pros over other negatraits, but that doesn't make it worth the downgrade (yet more expense) compared to a blitzer.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

on topic, for me, i'd present C as the core recommendation.

i'd then show E as the advanced version for those who already know how to manage re-rolls.

i'd show D as the conservative option for those who hate taking too much damage

i'd show A OR B (but not both) as the wild 'lets have fun with big guys' option.
Decksign

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Vargheist is one of the best big guys in 2020, that's why you'd take him over a blitzer if you have to decide between the 2.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
on topic, for me, i'd present C as the core recommendation.

i'd then show E as the advanced version for those who already know how to manage re-rolls.

i'd show D as the conservative option for those who hate taking too much damage

i'd show A OR B (but not both) as the wild 'lets have fun with big guys' option.

Agree. I'll edit the help page some time soon. Thanks for the input
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Decksign wrote:
Vargheist is one of the best big guys in 2020, that's why you'd take him over a blitzer if you have to decide between the 2.

i mean.. trolls are the best. treemen are second best. and arguably every other big is bad, so you only take them if your team needs something specific that can't be offered elsewhere on the team (such as the krox or beast of nurgle). with a varg.. the blitzers offers it. so whether or not the varg is somehow better than many bigs, that doesn't make a varg any good.
Decksign

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This big guy's biggest flaw is Loner, other than that he will always behave and do something when you activate it.
Only treemen can do the same but they're stuck for the rest of the drive if they fail.
So we don't agree at all on the Vargheist.
Java

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2023 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:

i mean.. trolls are the best. treemen are second best. and arguably every other big is bad

It's rare me and grandad agree so much on something

The only exception is arguably guaranteed activation big guys such as rogars and yes, varg. The varg is kinda like a clawtroll or a regenrogar... He's good, he's definitely not troll or treeman good.