65 coaches online • Server time: 22:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Welcome Newcomers - ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HenningEksteen

Post   Posted: May 02, 2024 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I also feel your pain. It sucks getting diced. I had a run of 20 consecutive games last year where almost every opponent apologised to me for the dicing (coming from them, not me being salty and coaxing out the response. From what I can remember at least).

I used to play Warhammer competitively and the understanding there is that 1 in 50 games are decided by dice. Now, you do roll a lot more dice at a time in Warhammer so everything evens out better than in Blood Bowl where you roll 1, 2 or 3 dice at a time.

However, ~20 games diced in a row?? It frankly sounds, and probably is, impossible. It made me really think and consider what I see as a dicing. Rolling double skull sucks but do I ever notice when I roll double POW? A fling surfing my ball carrier with 3-dice uphill sucks but could I have positioned better to make the surf impossible? What else did I do wrong to allow unlikely events to happen and could I make changes to make them impossible? I don't control the results of the dice but I can, partly, control what dice are rolled in the first place.

I hate losing purely because of dice and, to be honest, I don't particularly enjoy dicing my opponent. None of that is in my control. I want to be someone who can get good results despite the dice because that is something I can control and get better at.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 02, 2024 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

It’s worth taking a look at the dice stats on these games and seeing what the actual dice were

They’re probably just average
People remember the bad dice and forget the good ones. It’s called Negative Perception Bias

The reason you lost 20 games in a row is probably because you got out coached
In fact, if you go look at the actual game history it’s probably got more wins and draws in there than you remember, as well
Klunker

Post   Posted: May 02, 2024 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Dice stats can be misleading, too.
A casualty in T1 has a much bigger effect than in T16, but both look identical in the stat sheet.
Similar with 2D blocks: One player rolls SKULL/POW multiple times whereas the other alternates POW/POW and SKULL/SKULL. It looks identical in the stat sheet but is actually very different.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 02, 2024 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Klunker wrote:
Dice stats can be misleading, too.
A casualty in T1 has a much bigger effect than in T16, but both look identical in the stat sheet.
Similar with 2D blocks: One player rolls SKULL/POW multiple times whereas the other alternates POW/POW and SKULL/SKULL. It looks identical in the stat sheet but is actually very different.
To be fair, if you know how to read a match report, this is less of a problem. A T1 Casualty will result in -15 or -16 net player turns compared to a T16 Casualty, and you can see who played how many turns. Similarly, skulls and pows are mildly interesting, but turnovers and their source are also documented in dice stats. But it's really hard to suss out, you know? Like, if you play a Norse team and get 5 Cas, just looking at the number of blocks can probably tell you a fair bit about why: if you threw 60 blocks, 5 Cas probably means a long hard fight that paid off in the end, at least in damage terms, while if you threw 25 blocks, it was probably a splatfest, and you threw only 25 blocks because every hit was damage.

But yeah, a re-rolls function in dice stats would be interesting. What dice did you reroll and how did it go? Maybe a before/after that only counts Team RR?

Post   Posted: May 02, 2024 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The best way to judge a match is watching the replay. Stats don't tell the whole story (but of course they can be useful to have a quick idea of the game).
 Jump to: