16 coaches online • Server time: 01:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mongoose

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

we don't have to deal with stalling IRL on the tabletop why should we have to deal with it here. it makes the game not fun at all. when you have to sit around for 5+ turns and wait for your opponent to score, while you do nothing, except stand guys up as they run around on the 1 yard line. something needs to be implemented, to curb this. or make it less excessive.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Mongoose wrote:
we don't have to deal with stalling IRL on the tabletop why should we have to deal with it here. it makes the game not fun at all. when you have to sit around for 5+ turns and wait for your opponent to score, while you do nothing, except stand guys up as they run around on the 1 yard line. something needs to be implemented, to curb this. or make it less excessive.

This is...

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Why.. why dont you deal with it on table top???
Mongoose

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

@Nelphine

its simple when any turn you stall you have to roll for throw a rock, and your lose 4 SPP every turn you stall you will score. thats how are commissioner set up our league rules.
knine

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

BB is a spin-off of NFL. Stalling is 100% part of NFL and it's rightly replicated in BB. You should fully expect it and therefore build your team and play your strategy to counter it (or, just score more than the other guy Smile ).
knine

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Although, I do agree that it would make for a more exciting game if stalling wasn't part of the game (same for NFL).
Carthage

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ridiculous expectations that everyone conform to an anecdotal experience aside, having a permanent "throw a rock" prayer to nuffle would actually be a nice setting to play with in custom leagues, as would trap doors and SPP for fouls/surfs.
Not sure how difficult that would be to implement, but its something probably worth putting in the bug/feature request section of the forum.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Proper NFL stalling

Non NFL stalling Smile

Last edited by koadah on %b %23, %2024 - %22:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Mongoose

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

@Knine

yes and no. Stalling and running the clock down are 2 completely different things. seeing as the NFL you have for down and have to progress 10yards to get a new set of downs. hence why stalling is not the same as running down the clock.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If you've got to the point that you can stall that's my fault.

My choice at that point is how to make you score. Certainly you shouldn't have "5+ turns" waiting it out in deep in my half. Why would you just be standing players up on those turns? Pressurise the ball or punch/foul the stragglers. Do something to at least make you drive easier
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Mongoose wrote:
@Nelphine

its simple when any turn you stall you have to roll for throw a rock, and your lose 4 SPP every turn you stall you will score. thats how are commissioner set up our league rules.

So you implement a fairly harsh change to the rules, which then incentivizes you to play in a way that trains you to not deal with stalling (and more importantly the clock mamagement of the defending team that comes woth it) and then you complain when you have to deal with it here?

AND you use a stalling house rule that would have a neglgible impact on the game play of a strong coach who was already used to turn management strategies (ma 8 ball carrier, normally stall 5 squares from the end. Oh no, now we stall 9 squares! No other difference to stalling...)

You aren't 'not dealimg with it' in table top, you're all agreeong not to do it because thats what you like. If i was in that league, i would stall exactly the same (in terms of game play which is, i believe, what you hate about stalling).

Edit: i would be in favor of a throw a rock option league commish's could turn on, but not because i think it would prevent stalling. I just like options for league commish's.
You can already do the 4 spp thing in a league fairly easily.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2024 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

/gets popcorn

Isnt this a repeat of the 120 odd page thread on stalling?
Mongoose

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2024 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

so basically you are trying to tell me to tighten up and do better, or get good scrub. lol.

I guess that's what i'll do. thank you, sir.
grant85

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2024 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Like many I was slightly surprised by your comment that there is no stalling in table top. This is not in line with my experience of over 80 naf tourneys. The replies of "get better" may seem harsh but the message behind it is that weak positioning can and will be exploited so see if you can do more to balance your defense if possible.

I hope you keep with it here, I have found it has only made me better at table top.

all the best,
Mongoose

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2024 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

tournaments are different than leagues i suppose, in than regard.
 Jump to: