18 coaches online • Server time: 06:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It appears in the new rule set, there may be some effort to discourage teams from stalling. While the actual penalty hasn't been leaked, this is defined:

Time Wasting

If a player is stalling defined as follows -
1. player is not marked
2. has the ball
3. can be activated and can walk into the opposing endzone without throwing a d6
4. can make it to the end zone without having to GFI or dodge

In comes

Fumblerooskie - New Skill - A player can place the ball on the floor when making a move or blitz action , and it doesn’t cause a turn over.

Could this skill become necessary for bash/cage teams that want to circumvent anti-stalling rules? Simple move your primary ball carrier into stalling territory, place the ball on the ground, then continue your turn by surrounding the ball?

It may be a bit riskier than in the current rule set, but an essential tactic for Dwarves and the like in BB2020?

Oscar Wilde
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah I could see this happening, deffo much riskier now as you can jump over prone players, and pretty risky having to pick up a loose ball.

This is deffo a new skill I am looking forward to seeing though.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

This will depend on their pass access. If I understand correctly Fumblerooskie is a pass skill.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

So, Throwers are going to just lay the ball on the ground and stall, like hens, lol!
The Hen tactic is born!
Arthas85

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
So, Throwers are going to just lay the ball on the ground and stall, like hens, lol!
The Hen tactic is born!

However, leaving the ball on the field for stalling will be somewhat more risky with more chances of the ball becoming loose. On the other side, with passing now being safe only with the dedicated player, counterattacks will need to be more carefully planned (not just putting your elf lineman in score range and then throw the ball somewhat recovered with another random elf).
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

GENIUS. Perfect utilization of a new skill added that just increases the options of the game but doesn't change things fundamentally. Granted this might be considered a "Rules Sharking" take that may need to be addressed in an FAQ... regardless, I think that is a great take.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Putting the ball down and stalling does sound even more ridiculous than someone standing with the ball and not scoring. Like the crowd/ref wouldn't mind the former but not the latter. hopefully not something that will be needed.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

So you can use only 4 guys for a cage instead of 5?
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as they all have SF...
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

From stalling cage to staring (at the ball) cage. Very Happy
"No, Ref, we are not stalling, we are looking for the ball our Thrower accidentally dropped".
Dominik

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I cant see any team with pickup at 3+ at best doing this strategy. +AG on most teams will be even more valuable.

Since I heard that Khemri will be gone I do not complain about them as being the only race who never can stall again practically.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2020 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomb Kings can still stall, just place the Thrower out of scoring range (7 squares to score) without placing the ball on the ground.
Maybe they can't easily stall till turn 8, but some stalling should still be possible.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2020 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Tomb Kings can still stall, just place the Thrower out of scoring range (7 squares to score) without placing the ball on the ground.
Maybe they can't easily stall till turn 8, but some stalling should still be possible.

Laughing Surefeet buff?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2020 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and Sprint too. Razz
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

My league actually tried out an anti-stalling house rules something like 20 years ago.
Coaches had no problem circumventing it.

I suspect coaches will just stall from 1 GFI out.
Then on turn 7 move as close as possible.
And walk it in on turn 8.
 Jump to: