23 coaches online • Server time: 07:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post How do you beat Tomb...goto Post Convince a friend to...goto Post Norse coach looking ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Jan-Erik wrote:
You do not understand the sentence.

why?

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

A player who is not marked can assist 2 actions:
Blocks (including during a blitz action)
Fouls

Previously in 2020:
A player with the guard skill could assist both those actions, even if the player is marked.

After the FAQ:
A player with the guard skill can assist blocks (including during a blitz action), even if the player is marked.

By omission, this means that players with the guard skill can no longer assist with fouls if they are marked.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
A player who is not marked can assist 2 things:
Blocks (including during a blitz action)
Fouls

Previously in 2020:
A player with the guard skill could assist both those actions, even if the player is marked.

After the FAQ:
A player with the guard skill can assist blocks (including during a blitz action), even if the player is marked.

By omission, this means that players with the guard skill can no longer assist with fouls if they are marked.

Thank you this about fouling is clear now... my concern is in the meaning of the sentence
I have rulebook in front of my eyes
at Page 80 is written

GUARD
This player can ofer both offensive and defensive assists regardless of how many opposition players are Marking them

The FAQ (page 14) states
Page80: GUARD
- Change to read
When a player performs a Block Action (including as part of a Blitz Action) this player can offer both offensive and defensive assists regardless of how many opposition players are Marking them

Now... and I apologyze for my bad italian-sheep english... i intend this as: REPLACE the whole sentence by this one

so far so good..

And if we replace the whole sentence i read that the GUARD skill start with "When a player performs a block action".... so seems GUARD is linked to the fact you perform a Block action

I know it's pointiness ...

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

When a player (not the player with Guard, let's call them player A) performs a Block Action (including as part of a Blitz Action) this player (the player with Guard, let's call them player B) can offer both offensive and defensive assists regardless of how many opposition players are Marking them.

The 2 players, A and B, are different, not the same player.
A could be either a team-mate of B or an opponent player.

Is it clearer now?

Guard doesn't offer anymore Fouling assists, that's what has changed with the FAQ.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %28, %2024 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

yes is it clear that in this sentence the word player refers to the first part to player A and in the second part to player B ... (even if then is written THIS player ... boh)

i think the the sentence from a logical standpoint is poorly written but whatever...I know I'm being pedantic...

anyway thanks both Nelphine and Dakka for the clarification!

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

It's an equivocation.

Language is stupid.

No, I don't have a less stupid alternative.

How did the elephant get into your pajamas?

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that it could have been worded differently. It's better to be super clear with rule descriptions, without creating any ambiguity, for example:

"When a team-mate or opposition player performs a Block Action (including as part of a Blitz Action) the player with the Guard skill can offer both offensive and defensive assists regardless of how many opposition players are Marking them."

Writing: "the player with the Guard skill" doesn't require a river of ink and prevents confusion.

Prego!
razmus

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Previously: Stunning your own players during your turn would unstun at the end of your turn.
Now: Stunning your own players during your turn will unstun at the end of your next turn.

Yuri_the_Scourge

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

the end of the underworld reign....they will no longer be tier 1
James_

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Yuri_the_Scourge wrote:

what tier do you think they'll be? 2? they still seem strong.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

According to the fluff they should not be tier 1, so, I don't see the problem.
moph

Post   Posted: May 28, 2024 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
yes is it clear that in this sentence the word player refers to the first part to player A and in the second part to player B ... (even if then is written THIS player ... boh)

i think the the sentence from a logical standpoint is poorly written but whatever...I know I'm being pedantic...

anyway thanks both Nelphine and Dakka for the clarification!

English Grammar seems to allow more ambiguity. In german the "this" would, strictly considered, only refer to the before mentioned "a player".
And even if the english grammar allows this ambiguity it should be avoided in rules writing.
Would be less confusing when the order would be changed : " This player can offer..., when a player performs..."
James_

Post   Posted: May 29, 2024 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
According to the fluff they should not be tier 1, so, I don't see the problem.

Yup, if you go by fluff they were meant to be terrible.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 29, 2024 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

James_ wrote:
Yuri_the_Scourge wrote:

what tier do you think they'll be? 2? they still seem strong.

Mmm tiers 2 sure .At least in Trophy

I think Rookie UW are quite downsized now
I I will really hesitate to start Trophy wit UW now as till Gutter does not get at least couple of skills running in low players would be a killing factor for initial games .

For UW mid TV with one Trower Leader/Block a blitzer CLAWMB gutter blodge/sidestep/2head and Troll with Guard maybe they can still compete but you need to play 10 games minimum to get all these skills and win a lot …

also fouling with assistance of the guard troll will be less impacting

Probably GW received several claims and/or feedback from coach playing official tournament to hurt so much UW only

Next D.C. will probably touch Vampires?

Post   Posted: May 29, 2024 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
Next D.C. will probably touch Vampires?

Please don't use the (official rules) Designer's Commentary & FAQ-thread for further speculations.
Neither for other wishes or rule discussions not related to the current content.

Thanks.
Imho it's annoying these times how the community goes wild about wishes, like days before the FAQ here: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=33040 - stay there if you wish.
It's not effective at all and tiresome to take this kind of discussion everywhere.
 Jump to: