56 coaches online • Server time: 11:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JuggerGonzo

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge is not working on blitz?!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

No, it doesn't. Sure Feet doesn't work either.
Blitz! event has been overnerfed by BB2020 rules.
JuggerGonzo

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought only team RR don't
razmus

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka is absolutely correct.

The FAQ and errata for Blood Bowl 2020 are available here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/#blood-bowl

The relevant bit here is on page 4:
"Q: Can the Dodge skill be used on moves outside of a player's activation, such as those provided from On the Ball, or the Blitz result on the Kick-off Event table? (p75)
A: No. The Dodge skill can only be used to re-roll a Dodge roll during that player's activation during their own team turns."

The key there, is apparently that the Blitz kick off event has been ruled as not a team turn, and the Dodge skill description says the dodge reroll says once per team turn.

(That also means that other skills which are available during a team's turn, are also not available. There's a handy chart of which skills work during the Blitz Kickoff event... and which are disabled when the player loses their tackle zones here: https://fumbbl.com/note/christer/SkillUsage )

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, if Blitz! is not a team turn I could argue that then you should not be able to activate any player of your team at all.
Either you let the players be fully activated (skills included) or you don't.
I know that they wanted to nerf Blitz! event, but by limiting the activable players to D3 + 1 + A.Coaches + Cheerleaders and 1 rr max per turn the Blitz! event would have been nerfed enough. Alternatively, no rr allowed during Blitz! but players' skill allowed, at least.
In old rules it was too strong because you could activate up to 8 players, now it's too weak and makes agile teams worse.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

what is sure is that you will be never happy with whatever rule which is not your rule.
You are the Master of complaint Dakka... really....
razmus

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

In this part of the world (Mid-Atlantic US), pre-BB2020, a lot of table top tournaments (possibly most) were using modified kickoff tables, and the Blitz! event very frequently limited the number of activating players. My memory might be failing me, but I think it was fewer, on average, than the current BB2020 event. Of course, back then, the Blitz! granted a bonus (free) team turn...

MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

razmus wrote:

(That also means that other skills which are available during a team's turn, are also not available. There's a handy chart of which skills work during the Blitz Kickoff event... and which are disabled when the player loses their tackle zones here: https://fumbbl.com/note/christer/SkillUsage )

What I don't understand from that list is why Pile Driver can't be used (there's no reference in the Pile Driver description to limitation to in-turn usage) - I guess inconsistent with Blitz! not allowing any fouls to be made?

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

and with Pro I can reroll? Not much sense.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, why Block can be used, and Dodge can't? If the skills are disabled during Blitz!, then all the skills must be disabled, not just some.
JuggerGonzo

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Also what about On the Ball skill? During on the ball action you can not use dodge as well?
Garion26

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Also, why Block can be used, and Dodge can't? If the skills are disabled during Blitz!, then all the skills must be disabled, not just some.

Because dodge rule in the rulebook says 'once per team turn during the players activation'

Block skill does not.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, by rule is like that, but still it doesn't make sense, Dodge should be allowed during Blitz! turn too.
Players don't suddenly forget how to dodge during Blitz! turn.
Also, not being able to use Dodge makes a rookie Elf as good at dodging as an Elf with Dodge during a Blitz!.
If your player has a skill he should be different from a player without a skill.
It's simple logic.
razmus

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JuggerGonzo wrote:
Also what about On the Ball skill? During on the ball action you can not use dodge as well?

According to the rules of Blood Bowl 2020 published by Games Workshop... as I quoted above and provided the reference -- No.

Again, from the Blood Bowl FAQ: "We are always happy to consider more questions, so please send any queries to: bloodbowlfaq@gwplc.com"

We can throw our opinions of what should be and point out what is... but it doesn't actually change anything or get us anywhere. And as I've pointed out a few times in the past, "What were y'all thinking?" is technically a question (but isn't likely to be productive either.) The rules as published get more and more clear with each iteration of the Errata/FAQ. Folks have tried to point out the rules as written, and we can give opinions... but ultimately if there is something element that still isn't clear or you feel might be made even more clear, they've provided a way to get more clarifications.

MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2023 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do we think that Chainsaw can't be used for the blitz in a Blitz kick off?

p41:
Quote:
D3+3 Open players on the kicking team may immediately activate... One may perform a Blitz action.

p46 and p59:
Quote:

a single Standing or Prone player on the active team may be activated to perform a Blitz action; an action that allow the player to combine a Move action and a Block action. When a player Blitzes, they may move as normal. In addition, they may perform a Block action (or a Special action granted by a Skill or Trait that can be performed instead of a Block action)

p84:
Quote:

Instead of performing a Block action (on its own or as part of a Blitz action), this player may perform a 'Chainsaw Attack' Special action

I thought I'd made my peace with not being able to use a chainsaw on a blitz kick off, but reading these three again I now feel convinced that it should be possible to saw somebody in half on the kick off event.