38 coaches online • Server time: 16:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I was reading this interesting page explaining Goblin Strategy
https://fumbbl.com/help:BB20GoblinStrategy

but after Bomber Dribblesnot become a Mega-Star and cannot be used anymore in Box something maybe need to be updated in the roster set-up

I usually start the Goblin Roster by including all the three "Secret Weapon" players (Fanatic, Bomma and Looney) even if in the suggested starting set up
https://fumbbl.com/help:BB20GoblinSetUp Bomma is never present (Probably because with economical roster management one hopes to have a 50K gap by which hiring Dribblesnot who is incredibly superior at a low price and was therefore banned )

But maybe Bomma become (for Goblin) more usefull as Dribblesnot is out of game and can counter someway teams who can play with Cindy ... ?

I am hesitating as in order to counter the fact I often have 2 players with secret weapon fired after the 1st drive (plus 2-3 goblins in infirmary out because they are a little ill-healthy Wink ) then in the second drive I have a lot of troubles.

Any suggestions (expecially for Box games)?

Advice from coaches who use to play Goblins is welcome. Wink
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Avoid the temptation to take all three secret weapons. Determine which of them fits your playstyle best. Personally, I love chainsaws, and would have taken Bomber whenever he was available, but without him, I still don't like the Bomma enough; I foul a lot so it's nice to have bribes for that as well as Secret Weapons.

Taking no secret weapons and relying on inducing Fungus and/or Nobbla to taste can work, but you would not find this much fun for the first few games, as the TV matching will be too close to give you any inducements.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks .
Yes, I’m thinking to fire one player with secret weapon in fact.
I think I will keep the Looney .
The big question is between Fanatic and Bomma
I have the impression Bomma helped me to remove more player than Fanatic who often start break-dancing in the middle of the pitch doing nothing ….
Burtblahblahblah

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If the bomber has passing on primary, I'd probably consider it. But, as it is, most bombs are going to be a 5+ (or 3+ to avoid wildly inaccurate). In a team that already has so much randomness, I think it's one step too far. Plus, bribes are hard to come by in the box, so you're always going to be down on players come the second half.

Maybe replacing the fanatic could be an option, but it is so good for controlling the pitch on the offensive drive. Three big players gives you that control, two makes it much harder.

The looney is the best of the weapons. For the cost, I think it's the best player in the game.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm currently running only 1 SW, the Looney. I feel that given me more options if inducements do come up....without Bomber being available the first 50k goes on a bribe, but if I get 80k+ the perhaps Fungus is a options etc.
Java

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing with goblin is that you WANT everything but generally cannot have everything, at least at the start.

Endrophil, smallman, the top gobs in BBT... those are the ones to watch.

Looney is your (sort of) sacker, but will also act as your honeypot at times. You might want him on scrimmage on offense, so that he provides a third "good block", but you also need to be able to block away the target of the chainsaw if it's too weak and doesn't break armour, and he'll be a prime target on Blitz! anyway. You also want the Looney on defense (I wish we were allowed 2!), but for him to work in that drive you need some way to open pathways for him. And that leads us to...

Bomma! Unreliable, reroll-consuming, easily the fastest to die. You want him on defense. Hey, come think of it, defend, defend, defend! Good advice for gobbos no matter what. If he dies after throwing a couple good bombs, or ties up a lot of the opposition trying to kill him, he's done his bit. If he manages a hit on the opposing ball carrier, you might be in for a fun time. But he must never be around the...

Fanatic! Here's another one where 0-2 would be nice, Fungus fills that niche thankfully. They die by GFI, by triple skulls/bd, by being uphilled or, if you're very careless and send them around alone, by being 2-diced.Another hilarious death is by stray bomb, so keep the two SWs apart, ideally by having one on the bench. He's great at opening pathways for the saw or a troll on defense, but being the slowest player you have and not exactly reliable at that, he requires a bit of "opponent's cooperation" for that trick to work. Pushing prone trolls in contact with the ball carrier is another neat trick you can try (if they don't kill the troll in the process). I find he helps most on offense, because he can be the best screen/cage corner, he moves first and the rest of the team forms up around where he ended up.

So there you have it. You want bomber and saw on defense, fanatic (and possibly saw too) on offense, if everything runs perfecty (it won't happen) you have the potential to steal the ball on defense, and to score safely on offense. Goblin wins are 1-0s and 2-0s, 2-1s at best. The more kickoffs your team sees the worst your chances are.

Development-wise, you should basically wait. Roll stats, try to get that fabled AG2+ gobbo. Pick Block on the trolls, possibly. Carry with the 'ooligan until he can pick sneaky git. Roll random Gs to get cheap block, sure hands, wrestle, etc.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

So whilst we're thinking about this I'm pondering as Res Tournament build.

2 Trolls
Ooligan - Sneaky Git
Looney - Sneaky Git
Bomma - Pass
9 Gobbos
3 RR

That leave 230k and 4 primary skills to be assigned.

Would you take:
Kreek + Bribe + Ass. Coach
Fungus + 3 Bribes
Nobbla + 2 Bribes
(Glart, Helmut, Akhorne and the Black Gobbo would also be available)
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Java and C0ddlefish. At this point I'm even more doubtful whether to fire the fanatic (and earn 70k hoping to be underdog by 80k and hire the Fungus who is much better with the Whirling Dervish) or Bomma...
in doubt for now I'll keep them all and only play two in the drive keeping the Fanatic in the reserve.... and see how it goes... but a 1000k TV is maybe too high for goblins (I have three rerolls without Apo I think Apo isn't that crucial for goblins )
Java

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

@C0d: I would want the biggest bench possible, so I'd rather have 2RRs than 3. On that note, Pass is an option for Snotling bombers because it's a primary, but if you're only allowed one secondary I'd take Leader on a troll instead, or even on a designated gobbo carrier. That would free up cash.

If Kreek is allowed without a skill tax, he's a solid choice. Are you not allowed Dribblesnot, or the special pogo? Or any of the other big guys?

Glart's quite good actually, he adds flexibility and reliability to the team, also some surf potential.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

6 primary and 1 secondary....no more than 2 of the same skill allowed.
1 star allowed, Megastars are banned except Kreek it seems (no penalty for his use either).
At 2RRs I'd probably drop the Bomma for a normal Gobbo. That would be 2 Troll, 10 Gobbos, 1 looney and Ooligan. And about 295 to spend.
Could then go Kreek, Bribe, Fanatic?
Varag as ball carrier?
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

To the OP, Java covered most of it, but basically, like all stunties, you need to win by attrition. Having a second half with more players left is usually the key, so starting in box, you need to limit the star players. I would say the fanatic is always the first choice to keep as the other two are too easily breakable even with poor opposing play. Then protect whichever you have.

Use your normal gobbos in support, don't send them off in threes for one 2 dices block somewhere, Expect the SW (and Trolls) to do the work.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

in order to take >170k starplayers (like Gart or Kreek) expecially if you use Goblin in Trophy(like I am doing now) you must keep very low TV and this is not really possible
--> less than 14 players , you can take only 2 SW , in the second drive you will play with a handful of players. In this case you need to reduce 3 --> 2 RR and buy an APO (this is something I am thinking but I really need 3 RR. I never ended a drive with advanced reroll. There are so many thgings which can go bad that with 2 RR only I feel to be obliged to make 1 block per turn max, and often even do not activate the 2 trolls...) . 3 RR + APO inflate the TV too much i think i did not see any expert Goblin player use to do this.

Not sure if within 15 match you can induce a starplayer good as Glart (195k) a part if - like in my previous match - i got a troll MNG one goblin killed and now I have TV 805 for the next match : But still within the first 5- match allowqed TV gap is less than 120k so forget big Starplayer
if in future I will I get >= 180k of TV gap difference and i have a troll MNG I would hire a Mercenary Troll + 1 Bribe.

Honestly in term of Quality/Price within the Goblin Starplayer list now that Dribblensot and Morg are out maybe only Fungus the Loon is the one who is interesting (as it is cheap and is much better than Fanatic which cost 10k less)

Bomma without "Accurate" is really poor I agree with Java ... and he can only access "A" as primary. I will keep for one more game but he is on the list to be fired...

So as mentioned by Java if you want to offense and defense you need all 3 SW players... and need to hope that you have enough player to put in the field in the second drive .

In term of skills I try to randomize Agility or General skill(if some goblins take several MVP unwanted and ) and if I stack enough SPPs... but is very risky, as in the last match I randomized "Defensive" which is probably one of the most awfull Agility skill for a Goblin.
Agility skill which make sense to be honest are
good
=======
Divin Tackle
Sneaky Git
Side Step

sufficient (can be used in 1TTM but not always you have this opp )
=========
Catch
Divin Catch
Sprint
Sure Feet

Awful
=====
Leap
Defensive (probably the worst Agility skill they have)

Don't care
Jump Up

Sprint, Sure Free and Leap if I have the bad luck to randomize and I have money to replace I throw the goblin otherwise I have to keep
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

How does Diving Catch help if you aren't passing? But higher chance of catching the kickoff?
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

in fact is not a skill I will take on purpose ... just in case of the 1TTD and I handover... a little bit more chance. But to be honest I never chosen so far , in case I randomize if i have enough money i will trow away
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 06, 2023 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Diving Catch doesn't work on a handover (or at least never used to)
 Jump to: