46 coaches online • Server time: 13:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think that timeout:
Should be always called without any warning
13%
 13%  [ 24 ]
Should be always called but never the first time (1 warning max)
17%
 17%  [ 31 ]
Should be called only if happen too often in a game
40%
 40%  [ 72 ]
Should be never called
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
Each coach should agree before the match how to manage the timeout csll
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Pie!!!!
10%
 10%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 180

ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2023 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
sometimes elves don't want to stand up
+1
mekutata

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

We have 10 fingers. If we cut off one finger for going over 4 minutes, I believe coaches would really start to think about its worth. Maybe that's a compromise we can all live with? Or would fumbbl major finals become really long due slow turns?

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe more casual coaches would quit and the more hardcore coaches would get sick of playing vs each other the whole time. Twisted Evil

Word up Rookies. There are NO timeouts in 145.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Played a coach the other day who reached timeout almost every turn, if he didnt turnover before. Also thought really long about every decision he could (MY turn), like using stand firm, if apoing a badly hurt etc. I time outed him once and complained via chat. He conceded, saying "he doesnt play with time", in turn 7, right before i wouldve made a td.

Afterwards i wrote him with a guilty conscience to make sure he has no disability or something. He just repeated, that he doenst play with timer, therefore hes not playing against me.

My question now: was I in the wrong? We played over an hour for barely the first half, iirc. Also he never explained his playstyle before conceding.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

In the Competitive division you may use the time-out button however you see fit. It is suggested that you give a warning before you click it, but that is not required.

For a long discussion of the moral/ethical side of things and how people feel hard done by and why - see the first 20 pages of this thread. Wink
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

wescha wrote:
Played a coach the other day who reached timeout almost every turn, if he didnt turnover before. Also thought really long about every decision he could (MY turn), like using stand firm, if apoing a badly hurt etc. I time outed him once and complained via chat. He conceded, saying "he doesnt play with time", in turn 7, right before i wouldve made a td.

Afterwards i wrote him with a guilty conscience to make sure he has no disability or something. He just repeated, that he doenst play with timer, therefore hes not playing against me.

A few days ago I rewatched a match between a well-known Legend and a well-known Megastar in which the well-known Legend called 3 out of 3 timeouts. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the match live, I would have been curious to see the chat....

My question now: was I in the wrong? We played over an hour for barely the first half, iirc. Also he never explained his playstyle before conceding.

If he reached timeout several turns and you called after 2-3 repeated times (if also telling him a warning) it seems to me that your behavior was correct.

There are people who are not familiar with the competitive division or who does not play a lot and need more time and can be shocked by this especially since there are many leagues or tournaments where the timeout is never called. It is always good to explain to coach after he exceeds 4 mins time that the next time you will call timeout because it is a competitive division.

I recently played a game in a competitive tournament where my opponent went into timeout and I warned him--then he made a second one but the game was now compromised for me so I didn't call him. But if we had been on the edge and I had warned him for once maybe I would have pressed that button...I don't know. In the end the "social" aspect of the game is also important to me. I find that there are coaches who play Blood Bowl like steamroller machines. Instead you're playing against a human being, communication is important. And , again, if you had warned him before you called timeout his reaction may have been overstated

This post shows that timeout periodically generates serious misunderstandings. I have my own idea on the timeout which I explained a lot in this thread and in my personal page.

A few days ago I watched a replay of recent a match between a well-known Legend and a well-known Megastar in which the well-known Legend called 3 out of 3 timeouts. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the match live, I would have been curious to see the chat....

Blood Bowl is a merciless game in itself can generate frustration.
We have to try to behave like human beings with some understanding.
The World cup is not up for grabs here, although there are some who are obsessed with ranking and winning at all costs.
World cup being played these days in Alicante, btw and with no timeout Wink
wescha

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
wescha wrote:

A few days ago I rewatched a match between a well-known Legend and a well-known Megastar in which the well-known Legend called 3 out of 3 timeouts. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the match live, I would have been curious to see the chat....

If he reached timeout several turns and you called after 2-3 repeated times (if also telling him a warning) it seems to me that your behavior was correct.

There are people who are not familiar with the competitive division or who does not play a lot and need more time and can be shocked by this especially since there are many leagues or tournaments where the timeout is never called. It is always good to explain to coach after he exceeds 4 mins time that the next time you will call timeout because it is a competitive division.

I recently played a game in a competitive tournament where my opponent went into timeout and I warned him--then he made a second one but the game was now compromised for me so I didn't call him. But if we had been on the edge and I had warned him for once maybe I would have pressed that button...I don't know. In the end the "social" aspect of the game is also important to me. I find that there are coaches who play Blood Bowl like steamroller machines. Instead you're playing against a human being, communication is important. And , again, if you had warned him before you called timeout his reaction may have been overstated

This post shows that timeout periodically generates serious misunderstandings. I have my own idea on the timeout which I explained a lot in this thread and in my personal page.

A few days ago I watched a replay of recent a match between a well-known Legend and a well-known Megastar in which the well-known Legend called 3 out of 3 timeouts. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the match live, I would have been curious to see the chat....

Blood Bowl is a merciless game in itself can generate frustration.
We have to try to behave like human beings with some understanding.
The World cup is not up for grabs here, although there are some who are obsessed with ranking and winning at all costs.
World cup being played these days in Alicante, btw and with no timeout Wink

Yes, warned him the first time got only an "ok" as a respond. Most turns he didnt timeout because he turned over before but I have to speculate, he'd gone into timeout because he already was at 3:15 when the turnover happened. Also, he really abused (imho) the time he gets for stand firm, apo, kick off, setup etc. Especially when there are no brainer decisions like using stand firm or your player gets surfed else.

I really was annoyed by the "I dont play with time" comment by him. I think thats a selfish way of playing, but thats just me.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Yea it is selfish to totally disregard that he's taking up your time, not just his own time

Some people just play slowly which is fine, but this seems much worse, almost deliberate or a disregard for how much time he's using.
He's probably half afk or alt-tabbed to something else
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

wescha wrote:

Yes, warned him the first time got only an "ok" as a respond. Most turns he didnt timeout because he turned over before but I have to speculate, he'd gone into timeout because he already was at 3:15 when the turnover happened. Also, he really abused (imho) the time he gets for stand firm, apo, kick off, setup etc. Especially when there are no brainer decisions like using stand firm or your player gets surfed else.

I really was annoyed by the "I dont play with time" comment by him. I think thats a selfish way of playing, but thats just me.

In this case your behavior was totally correct.
and Btw also conceding because a timeout is not in line with the site rules of competitive division.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 14:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If you suspect that someone is deliberately running the timer to the 4 minutes before ending turn then contact admin.
wescha

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
If you suspect that someone is deliberately running the timer to the 4 minutes before ending turn then contact admin.

I did, they answered that they need to See this next time we'll play. I doubt we will play again.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

wescha wrote:

It might be annoying but it makes sense. He doesn't want to play you and I suspect that you probably wouldn't want to play him either. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="RDaneel"]

Personally, even in easy turns I tend to try to use all the time available.

This is quite upsetting, i may be wrong but i believe there is a rule somewhere that states you cannot deliberately slow the game.

surely its way more annoying than a timeout.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2023 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

iena wrote:

This is quite upsetting, i may be wrong but i believe there is a rule somewhere that states you cannot deliberately slow the game.

That's the site rule you are referring to:

"Intentionally delaying the game by for example not ending your turn or by waiting for extended periods of time before moving is not allowed."
Chingis

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2023 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
iena wrote:

That's the site rule you are referring to:

"Intentionally delaying the game by for example not ending your turn or by waiting for extended periods of time before moving is not allowed."

Yep, but someone who carefully tries to use their time to come up with the exact best move and not rush isn't waiting an extended period of time before moving to intentionally delay the game. They're doing so to calculate the best plays, like someone making the most of their clock in chess.

It's not how I prefer to play the game (it's a silly board game about a lethal sort of rugby between elves, ogres and goblins, we're not searching for the solution to cancer!), but if other people get their kicks out of trying to "solve" the game optimally by using the extent of their time, then that's their prerogative.

If the timer has already pinged though and they're not quickly rushing around to try and finish up as quickly as possible, then that's a different matter of course.
 Jump to: