42 coaches online • Server time: 18:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lone23

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi coaches, I am playing blood bowl for a while, my stats are 2/11/12, it is clear that I am encountering difficulties in playing this game. Day after day I try to do my best but I always suffer bad beats against players more experienced and more skilled than me. It is getting more and more frustrating. It is clear that I am not able to learn how to play BB properly on my self. Is there a coach, with a good soul, willing to help me? Playing some games with me, accompany me step by step through the match telling me what I do wrong, teaching me tactics, how avoid mistakes, etc.. I really need to improve my self as a BB player to enjoy this game how it deserves. Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me!
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Try here! https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=3180&op=view

https://discord.gg/q9WqBu2H
Lone23

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the reply. I tried to create a couple team for 145 league but in the game finder I am not able to find any opponent.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

If you join the 145 discord linked above they have experienced coaches (and sometimes mentors) speficially to help new coaches out. They also have a 'looking for game' channel so that you dont have to rely on blindly finding someone online when you happen to join gamefinder.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're very very new, and don't know all the rules, how blocking works, how tacklezones work, then you could play against the AI on BB2 / BB3

I know it's bad, and it has a bad AI, and you'll gain bad habits if you stay there for too long... but, it is a safe enough place to learn the base mechanics of the game if you don't know them well already

I guess you're not actually that new though, because 2/11/12 is actually pretty good for your first games, especially playing teams that aren't that strong
Carthage

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd also recommend looking up the articles in the Goonhammer, BBtactics, and the Bonehead Podcast on youtube. There is a lot more fundamentals than understanding the base rules that those places cover pretty well.
Lone23

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
If you're very very new, and don't know all the rules, how blocking works, how tacklezones work, then you could play against the AI on BB2 / BB3

I know it's bad, and it has a bad AI, and you'll gain bad habits if you stay there for too long... but, it is a safe enough place to learn the base mechanics of the game if you don't know them well already

I guess you're not actually that new though, because 2/11/12 is actually pretty good for your first games, especially playing teams that aren't that strong

I know the rules, the only thing I have to learn is how to win a match
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah right
Well I've been here since 2011, have played nearly 1200 matches, and if you find that out, please let me know

More useful: https://fumbbl.com/help:Thousand+Losses+Playbook
It's from 2014 so a lot of the specifics may have changed, but the general ideas have not

A few general things, that new players get wrong:

- Do safe moves first. this means standing players up, moving players. Do your blocks in order of safety

- Don't throw your rerolls away just because something failed. If you're low on RR and there's lots of turns left in the half, then you're probably gonna need them later, so really consider if the position is actually critical, or you can let the failure happen

- Cover the ball before you start blocking. Focusing the ball, instead of getting caught up in a block-war is very important

- In fact, blocking should be regarded as only a means to an end, which is getting access to the ball and scoring. So you should mainly block for position, rather than block for casualities

- Learn how to get your blocks to be as safe as possible. make sure you get enough assists etc

- Learn how to maximise your blocking output when you need to. eg blitz a player back towards your own guys so you can get further hits on them
Also when you're recieving you can set up such that you get the most possible block dice on that turn
Note that this does contradict 'focus the ball' somewhat, so you need to learn a balance between the 2

- All of these are just guidelines, and are situational. There'll be some turns where doing unsafe blocks first is the correct option

- Spectate a lot, and watch a lot of replays
The Fumbbl Cup is running at the minute https://fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=195&p=tournaments or the recent Steel Gauntlet https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=16444&op=view both have some good games in
The current coach rankings and the Box Trophy rankings are good places to find coaches good with the rosters you want to play, and then watch their replays
https://fumbbl.com/p/coaches
https://fumbbl.com/p/boxtrophy

- Watch your own replays, but don't use them to justify any feelings of being unlucky, instead try and find what you could have done better
Even when you win, there'll be mistakes to spot and places where you could have improved
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/clientoptions
Client Options - Auto Marking
Lets you pre-assign letters to skills so they get marked on players in-game. Same as the shift-click marking you can do on players, but it happens automatically and works in spectator mode too
May require the option being toggled on/off in game
You can import my settings if you want, as a starting point at least

https://fumbbl.com/p/clientoptions
Client Options - Pitches
Lets you switch on or off the various pitch types within the client
Personally I just use the standard green one as it's easiest to see the game on

In game client user settings, I have the numbered pitch markings on, green check marks for used players on, logos off
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

There are mentors at 145 discord

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2023 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Read the rules and watch my YouTube

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2023 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Play in Box, not in Competitive, which should reduce the potential to get cherrypicked by coaches obsessed by maximising their win rate.

Also, if you like Chaos Chosen, I'd recommend retiring your existing team and building a new one: new teams don't cost anything, and Kaotix Punx are in a death spiral: you have two dead Blockers and no treasury to replace them, 2 AV bust players and only 4 skills across the team.

Finally, what time zone do you play out of? If you don't find any takers in the 145 and can't find people otherwise, I'm around evenings my time (0100 server time onward)

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2023 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

How good do you want to be and what teams do you play?
They all play quite differently. Orcs vs elves vs scanven vs dwarves; hard to teach across the wide gap.
datom

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2023 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey folks

Couple of posts asking about training etc - just a reminder that the 145 actively does this, has a mentorship programme etc etc

https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=datom&id=24828
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2023 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

A few things I noticed from looking at your last game.

- Nobility is not a strong roster and not at all forgiving to mistakes. Don't expect too much from them.

- On setup, 3 on LoS is correct, but why let your other guys hang back deep? Your Black Orc opponents are slow as heck, they wont run around you soon (and they wouldnt want to even if they could). I'd advise to put 3 on the line where your ogre is (2 behind your LoS) and hide the remaining 5 one tile behind them. That would be the standard defense that you see very often, and for good reason.

- You blitz with your Ogre a lot. That's risky as you might lose it on a bonehead (like you did) or fail it on skulls/bothdowns which you can't reroll very well thanks to loner. It is okay though, you want to apply MB, I understand that. Ideally you want to give him 3d but not vs BOs.

- Targeting the Troll is questionable though. It is their toughest player. What you really want is their goblins. Try to reach them with blitzers/bodyguards.

- Most important thing: Do not, if it can be avoided at all, give up unneccessary blocks. Especially against your lineman. Your linemen are so fragile, they are bound to break. Try to get them out of contact by blitzing your opponent off or give them assists so they can block. 1d is good if 2d cant be done. Unneccessary blocks against your weakest players must be avoided at all cost.

- Your dice were okay, but your opponent rolled very nice av/inj rolls which killed your game. Got to take that on the chin, it happens. That's why the point above is so important.

- Outside a few little sloppy moves you played a solid game. You'll get your wins soon enough. Maybe try to spectate games of highly rated coaches and watch what they do differently. If you want your wins sooner, pick a stronger race like Orcs or Amazons. It wont teach you better but maybe make you feel better about your game.

Keep it up, you are on the right tracks.
 Jump to: